Parish nurses and health ministers, who are typically volunteers from within the congregation, are trained and supported by ERS professionals to plan, implement, and evaluate the ministry. The following are some of the many services offered to partnering congregations:
- Consultation & Mentoring: ERS coordinators are available to assist your congregation with developing or enhancing a parish health ministry program.
- Continuing Education Opportunities: ERS provides workshops for individuals involved in the health ministry. Many programs include contact hours for nursing continuing education.
- Documentation & Related Services: ERS coordinators provide information related to legal issues, such as documentation. Sample forms are available for congregational use.
- Health Cabinet Development: ERS coordinators are available to provide professional and innovative ways to develop and enhance a health cabinet for your ministry. Such services include introductory and continued training for volunteers.
- Health & Wellness Liaison: ERS coordinators serve as liaisons for congregations seeking community resources, such as home health agencies and retirement communities.
- Lending Library: Partnering congregations are able to borrow books and videos on faith, health and wellness. The lending of such materials saves congregations from additional expenses.
- Faith Community Nurse Home Visitation Training: Churches can learn to implement a home visitation program. A comprehensive orientation manual is available.
- Parish Health Ministry Orientation Manual: Our “Introduction to Parish Health Ministry” course is a self-study manual created to provide an orientation to those individuals in partnering congregations who are beginning or enhancing a congregational health ministry. The course gives you the basic information and tools needed to begin your program.
- PHM e-newsletter: Register to receive our e-newsletter to keep up-to-date with current educational opportunities and what is happening in parish nursing and health ministries across the region.
- Volunteer Name Tags: As an added benefit, ERS Parish Health Ministry provides professional, laminated name tags for those involved in the health ministry.
Report of Activities
Partnering churches are asked to complete a one page Report of Activities at least quarterly in an effort to capture the data and success stories related to the ministry. Health ministry teams are encouraged to share the information at meetings and with their governing body as a means to evaluate the ministry and to lift it up. Click here to download the form.