The program includes:
• A set of four booklets written by Kenneth C. Haugk, PhD, Founder and Executive Director of Stephen Ministries. Each booklet focuses on providing support for the feelings and issues the person is most likely to be experiencing at that phase in their grieving process. The booklets are designed to be given to this person at four specific points during the first year after their loved one has died.
The booklets are also meant to help the person develop a clearer understanding of what they’re going through, including some of the reasons for these feelings and experiences. Reaching out to the grieving person consistently throughout the year shows them they are not forgotten and are not alone.
The booklets are as follows:
- “A Time to Grieve” – given three weeks after the loss, preferably in person
- “Experiencing Grief” – given three months after the loss, sent via US mail
- “Finding Hope and Healing” – given six months after the loss, sent via US mail
- “Rebuilding and Remembering”- given eleven months after the loss (so he/she receives it prior to the one year-anniversary of the loss), preferably given in person
• A Giver’s Guide, with detailed instructions and sample letters to accompany each booklet, developed by Kenneth Haugk
• A bulletin blurb to educate the congregation about the program
• Sample newsletter or bulletin articles on Grief.
How do I obtain this program?
PHM partnering churches may receive the booklets and Giver’s Guide at no charge while supplies last. Contact your PHM Coordinator for details.
For information on points to consider when implementing this program, click here.
For bulletin information, click here.
Sample Letters: (Source: www.stephenministries.com )
For the sample letter to accompany book one, click here.
For the sample letter to accompany book two, click here.
For the sample letter to accompany book three, click here.
For the sample letter to accompany book four, click here.
Healthy Thoughts Bulletin/Newsletter Articles on Grief:
For Healthy Thoughts bulletin article #1 full page, click here.
For Healthy Thoughts bulletin article #1 half page, click here.
For Healthy Thoughts bulletin article #2 full page, click here.
For Healthy Thoughts bulletin article #2 half page, click here.
Further Grief Resources:
For additional resources on books and support groups, click here.